Another FET and PUPO….

18 days ago, I woke up with fear, anticipation, and excitement about our forth frozen transfer from our second IVF round. This was the first transfer in over a year that I would be awake and that Heather would be able to be in the room with me and our babies. Previously our RE had performed our transfers with me sedated since I have a difficult cervix to pass.

We were excited that I was going to be able to have acupuncture before and after our transfer and that Heather could be there to hold my hand and see our babies as they were released into their new home. I was nervous that the transfer would be difficult and painful but was ready to endure whatever pain I needed to get our babies to their home.

I got up did a short yoga practice, had a great breakfast and took my Valium. We got to the clinic and my bladder was very full. We waited to go back to the procedure room so that they could prepare me for acupuncture. Heather was excited to finally see my acupuncture session. It was very relaxing and everything seemed to be in place. We had four embryos left going into our transfer and planned to transfer two embryos. Our RE came into the room after my acupuncture was over and I was feeling relaxed and less nervous about the transfer. She informed us that they had two grade 4BA embryos ready to transfer, but that we lost one embryo during the thaw, so therefore we had one embryo left for future use.

We go to the procedure room and see our beautiful embabies active on the screen. Our RE prepares for the transfer and struggles a little to get the guide catheter in place. After a few more minutes she gets it clearly placed and receives the embryos from the embryologist. They release the embryos and we all hold our breath and see them enter my uterus on the ultrasound. Science is an amazing thing and it always blows my mind to see our embryos. In that moment we were officially pregnant.

All of my emotions leading up to the transfer hit me at that moment and I was just flooded with tears of joy. Our RE was tearing up and gave us both long hugs and told us that she would be thinking about us until our Beta. We went back to the procedure room and my acupuncturist performed post transfer treatment. I had a little pain from the transfer but for the most part I felt good and different than I had with previous transfers (probably with good reason considering I was awake).

We grabbed lunch and headed home to rest and nest. My acupuncturist recommended that we watch comedies as it has been proven that laughing helps aid implantation. So we watched Ally Wong’s standup which was hilarious. It was a great afternoon and we enjoyed just laying around with our babies. Even though I had slept pretty well the night before, I ended up napping and still going to bed early.

Heather had to go back to work the next day but I had the next 10 days to spend with our embabies. I continued to do a light yoga practice in the AM, followed my anti-inflammatory diet, caught up on my Bravo tv, laid around on the sofa, cross-stitched, mediated and tried not to obsess over every feeling and tinge as an early pregnancy symptom.

The symptoms that I began to feel immediately were sore boobs and extreme tiredness. I was getting 7.5 hrs+ of sleep a night, which for me is a lot, but was still fighting to keep my eyes open at 8pm every night. I felt some cramping off and on but tried not to read to much into those feelings. Ok so here comes the TIM symptoms, so if you do not want to know the details, skip ahead…Unlike previous transfers, I did not have constipation from the progesterone gel but was actually going to the bathroom more than regularly. In addition, I felt like I was absorbing more of the gel and having less discharge. About 5dp5dt my boobs began to hurt really bad, so bad that I was now having to wear a sports bra to sleep as it hurt to lay down without support.

Since Heather had to go to Toronto for work the Monday after Thanksgiving, which would have been 12dp5dt, we asked our RE if we could wait for our Beta on that Wednesday, which would have been 14dp5dt. She advised that we do the Beta early on the Black Friday (Day After Thanksgiving) which was 9dp5dt. I was extremely anxious about Thanksgiving and being around my wife’s family and them asking me ‘are your pregnant’, ‘do you feel pregnant’, ‘when are you going to know’, etc. Then we were also going Black Friday shopping with them the day of the Beta and I did not want them asking ‘have you heard yet’, ‘what they say,’ so my wife was nice enough to tell them we would have no baby talk. She asked that they give us our space on Friday to deal with our own emotions and anxiety surrounding our results before they immediately began to ask us everything.

Thanksgiving was good, we ate, sat around, and talked about things beside politics and babies so that was good. An extended family member of my SIL did come over with her baby and of course everyone was oohing over the baby and looking at me. Yea, I get the hint, if I could give you a baby to ooh over just like that, it would have happened already…ugh. We left the family Thanksgiving and were invited to go to a dinner at one of Heather’s bosses houses. I was so stuffed from lunch that I barely ate, but Heather’s boss was immediately like why are you not drinking?!? He knew that we had recently been through a transfer and I told him, I did not want to take any chances until we knew for sure where we stood. We came home and went to bed with fear, anticipation and excitement knowing that our Beta was only a few hours away.

Friday morning we went into our clinic for the Beta. I was a ball of nerves knowing that in hours we would know if our babies stuck or not. They took my blood and we made sure to tell everyone that we wanted the results left on our voicemail as we would be out and about and might not have service when they called. We left to go meet up with Heather’s mom and sisters to shop. Around lunchtime, we were in Bed Bath and Beyond and my phone rang. There it was..the call.  I stood in the aisle watching it ring and freaking out. I immediately saw the voicemail message pop up and showed it to Heather. She was like hmm the message is 47 seconds. I tried to not think about the message and we continued to shop with the family. We went to lunch and I tired to focus my attention on the present moment but all I could think about was I want to listen to this message. A couple of hours later, we finally get home and sat down to listen to the message. Heather said she felt good about the transfer and I told her I did not know how I felt. We play the message and the Fellow says your numbers are POSITIVE… wait what?!? We are Pregnant!?!? My mind went blank and I did not hear the rest of the message. Heather immediately started balling and I was replaying the message to make sure I heard her correctly. After 4 years of trying we finally got a positive! Our babies stuck! I can get pregnant!!!! Woohoo!!!!!!!!

The Fellow indicated that for the first Beta they like to see at least 50 and my levels were at 60. We were so relieved to know our babies were there and we were pregnant for the first time ever. We FaceTime our close friends Holly and Laura who have been our rocks along this process and they were elated. We FaceTime Heather’s mom and sisters as we knew they would be waiting for the results and they were in tears and so excited. We decided we would hold off on telling everyone else as we were still very early and would have to wait to see how my numbers increased on the following Tuesday. But in the meantime, we took a pregnancy test just so we could finally see these beautiful words….

We were so excited and woke up the next day feeling completely different about our infertility experience. We had finally jumped a big hurdle and entered the realm of pregnancy. So many times we never thought we would get there. We spent the Saturday just the two of us basking in our joy. We went furniture shopping for the new house as we still needed to get living room furniture. As we rode around and looked at furniture, I was definitely feeling the effects of pregnancy; slight nausea, hunger, and tiredness (so tired that it is like I hit a brick wall and could not move). We found our living room furniture and came home to nest. We wanted to spend some quality time together especially since Heather had to leave for Toronto the next day.

She was especially sad and nervous to leave us (yes us, me and our baby/-ies), but I ensured her she had nothing to worry about all we were going to do was grocery shop and then come home to rest as I had to go to back to work the next day after having two weeks off. We FaceTime later in the day and I got ready for work by going through my emails.
I went into work nervous about people being nosey since I had been out of the office. I tried to stay busy and in my office so that I did not have to answer any questions. All I could think about was our next Beta and whether our babies were still growing strong. I came home, had a nice dinner, FaceTime with Heather and called it an early night. The next morning, I nervously got up (continued my routine of light yoga, meditation and a good breakfast) and headed to the doctor’s office for my 2nd Beta. Heather was due to get home from Toronto late that evening, so I asked that they leave the results on my voicemail again as I would be in and out of meetings and we wanted to know the results together later this evening. Around 12:30 they called. There it was the message staring me in the face. I texted with Heather and was like should we listen early. We both decided it was best we wait until she got home. Her flight did not get in until 10:30, it was going to be a long night.

She finally got home and we sat down to listen to the message. I was feeling very tired, anxious and fearful. We listen to the message and it was the same Fellow saying that I needed to call back and talk to the nurse who had my results, but that they wanted me to come back again on Thursday for another Beta. WHAT?!? Total fail, where are my numbers?!?! Ugh did we double, did we triple, did we what? We tried to focus on the positive that our numbers must have increased for them to want us to come back for another Beta. Now my fear was real, I knew we were not in the clear. Our numbers had not obviously gone from 60 to 500s or higher as they still wanted to test them. I tried to sleep but knew it would not be a good night.

The next day, I immediately called the clinic once they opened and left them a not so nice message (since the nurses seem to never answer the nurse line) about the fact that they did not leave my numbers on my voicemail and that I expected a call back ASAP with my numbers. I went ahead and scheduled the 3rd Beta for Thursday and waited for a callback. A number of other close friends and family knew we were waiting for a Beta, so we shared the news that we did get a positive and were ecstatic that we finally knew we can get pregnant. However it was still very early and we were cautiously excited.

I had meetings all morning, so I was anxious that they would call during my meeting and I would miss it. I got out of my morning meeting at our other building and headed to my office. As I got out of my car and was headed into the building, I got a phone call. It was one of the nurses that we do not care for (the one who had asked us if we had been with men before…yeah see previous posts about other transfers) that called me to tell me that my levels went up but that they were only at 183 and that they would have liked to see them higher so I needed to come back for another Beta.

This past Thursday I went in for our third Beta. I had a terrible feeling and did not sleep well the night before the test. I got to the office and they took my blood. I did not bother to tell them that they needed to leave a message when they called as I wanted to answer it and hopefully get some good news when they called. At 11:22 our RE called and as soon as I answered and heard her voice I knew. She said she wanted to call me herself with my results as unfortunately my numbers had dropped and therefore she felt my pregnancy was a chemical pregnancy. She said that most likely the embryos had stopped developing and therefore I should stop taking my meds and come back on Monday for another Beta to make sure my levels had dropped. She said she was so excited that we finally got to pregnant. She felt that was a good sign for our future.

Our future?!? What future? Now I wait for a miscarriage to happen naturally so that they will not have to perform a D&C. I am sad, angry, disappointed, heartbroken and fearful. For now, we are trying to focus on the good that we have our beautiful house to be completed in the next few weeks. However all I can think about is how the room we were recently dreaming would be our nursery, will now sit empty again without the current promise of a beautiful baby to grace it. Life is not fair….


2 thoughts on “Another FET and PUPO….

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s